History and Missions
The Hong Kong Sociological Association was established on November 14, 1998 by sociologists based at Hong Kong’s nine universities. Each year the Association holds an annual conference on the first Saturday of December. It also publishes an official journal ‘Social Transformations in Chinese Societies’. Over the years, council members of the Association have worked to advance the following missions of the Association:
- To contribute professional knowledge to the development and progress of Hong Kong society.
- To enhance communication among sociologists in Hong Kong, and to serve as a bridge between them and their counterparts in other regions.
- To promote sociological research in Chinese society in general and Hong Kong society in particular and, where necessary, to endeavour to provide publication outlets for such research.
- To facilitate teaching of sociology in Hong Kong.
- To furnish professional judgement on the standard and quality of sociological outputs.
- To raise community awareness of sociology in Hong Kong.